He's Crafty: Day 10
Monday, September 6, 2010 11:30:24 PM
Some teeth from the zipper broke near the bottom 3/4ths of it making it useless as a closed jacket, then movement became heavily restricked when using the cardboard (I like function as well as form), AND my gun stopped putting glue through it! AGH! I got super pissed and smashed the gun to bits, and accidentally cut the fabric on one of my chairs open I ripped the cardboard off the vest and was going to throw it out but my wife convinced me to keep it just in-case. Luckily I have enough fabric left-over from when I made the chairs the first time. But that will wait till after the costume is finished, because now I can let accidents happen to this one.
Anyway, Today I started again with my NEW glue gun that is WAY hotter than the other one, some of the tubes are actually melting because the glue is so hot (btw I am doing this project in shorts with no shirt or shoes, I don't wanna mess my clothes up AND the weather is unbelievably hot these days). All I can say if you are doing this like how I am: BE CAREFUL, and I take NO responsibility for any negative outcomes, and ALL responsibility for positive ones . I am using the same Jacket I just decided that I didn't really need it to zip all the way down, just enough to get my head through! So i glued the broken area shut, then glued all the way down the zipper and even popped some tubing on top of it to seal the deal.
I began gluing the tubes directly to the fabric without knowing how well the they would hold together, or if any movement inside the jacket would pop them off... They stick AWESOME and are even flexing with the jacket, this is great news! Now I have less work ahead of me, more body movement, and my doubts gone about the integrity of the suit, but just to be safe I think I may use some zip ties around the ends of the tubing. Sorry the photo isn't as amazing as looking at the painted head, but it will get there.