In addition, have a huge thank you for the gifts.
Thank you everyone for your support and kindness.
Do note: I am not against gradients or Aero, I just used a solid color to make the editing process easier for me, since I am not savvy with image editors.
Originally posted by Snapshot Digest:
Goal: In this blog, Opera developers and others should be able to find an abridged version of the comments posted in the Opera Desktop Team; because sorting through the comments can be a hassle.
From my time without Internet, after the second week you become extremely patient and walking around aimlessly is a past-time. Of course I went through Internet withdrawals but I won't get into that .
Sorry for the delay to some of you with the PMs, I'll try and catch-up.
Note: This will be on FavBrowser later.
This is an Opera 10.5 overview site page. In this mock-up I placed numbers in order to explain things without putting tons of text within the mock-up image.
1. The big image box would have the animated "particles" background like what was seen in the Opera 10.5 portal page. More specifically it would use the same ECMAScript for the "particles" background. For IE you can just use a particles image.
2. This is the tabs part of the mock-up. This was added in order to create a shorter in height page and a cooler experience.
- Performance- Talk about Carakan's we page speed loading and show a graph or two. (Where Opera performed best) Briefly lead to an article that talks more about Carakan. Also, it would mention Opera's start-up speed.
- Security- Talk about Opera's smartness like it will warn you if something is fraud thanks to a filter. Secondly, and more importantly, talk about the private browsing feature.
- Beauty- Talk about the integration, simplicity and show off some Aero. Maybe show the Z1-Glass (if not, it will be shown in the screenshots mentioned later).
- Engine- Say something that a lay person can understand: "An engine is the backbone of the browser, in Opera 10.5 we practically remodeled out engine to make it faster and stabler. We also added cool tools like Dragonfly to give web developers an easier experience fixing bugs for their web apps. More features in the latest engine (Presto) include:..." (do bullet points)(My recommended dialogue should probably be condensed.)
- Other features- Talk about things like the smarter address bar, etc.
4. This is the introduction video to the Opera 10.5 browsers. (Use the pretty pop-up like in Opera Mini 5's page)
5. (I accidentally put 4 twice.) This is showcasing big features. Show part of a screenshot but when clicked on the whole screenshot can be shown. For the speed dial one be sure to the the Speed Dial image generator to let people get the idea easier. Or, just use the features logo. I think the feature's logo would be smarter.
6. These are just links to other pages. Make sure it has a pretty picture.
7. These are screenshots. Show the Z1-Glass for one of them. Another idea is show a Google results page and have "Best browser" (or fastest) be in the search box. Then show links leading to Opera.com and Opera reviews (achieved via editing some source code).
That's all folks!
This could draw me to Linux. Time will tell. In mean time I recommend checking it out (with the use of Virtualbox).
Were search results this bad 10 years ago or so?
Today I'll tell you the main present I got this Christmas.
I received an eMachine ET1331G-03w Computer. Although this brand is basically generic this does not mean it is not powerful.
- 6GB of RAM
- 750 GB Hard Drive (I do not think I will use 1/4th of that)
- AMD Athlon™ II X2 dual-core processor 235e
- Windows 7 64-Bit
- NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE graphics
This is an nice present, I love semi-powerful computers (who doesn't?)
Start-up for me is
Setting this up was a devil though, I had to get a Wi-fi Network adapter for this, which, as it turned out, was not compatible with Windows 7. Resulting from, I had to find out how to make it work with Windows 7 which wasted a few hours and dollars. (To make it work on Windows 7 pretend you are Vista by Right click > Troubleshoot Capabilities)
Merry Christmas to everyone
Addendum: The GPU is terrible, all else is fine.
Anyway, here are my predictions for the Opera 10.5 pre-alpha release on Tuesday, December 22nd. These are not bizarre or new expectations.
- Presto 2.5- Not 2.4 as many believe, an employee even confirmed it. It also makes sense that it is not Presto 2.4, after all, Opera Mobile 10 Beta uses Presto 2.4. If 2.4 was supposed to be released in 10.5 Opera Mobile would not be finalized for a very long time.
- Vega- This will be the render of the Opera UI and the webpages. Since this takes advantage of Harware Acceleration we will see smoother animations and faster page loading to too.
- New Look- Jon Hicks (Senior Designer) has posted tweets which probably mean that he has been working on a design for 10.5. This will most likely take at least some advantage of Vega so the GUI can be smoother and shinier. This is what I am most excited for this pre-alpha. Sadly, I have to wait.
Standards Improvements- I predict more SVG implemented
and some WebGL. The link given in the title of this bullet has a quote I found interesting. "Opera has started implementing WebGL, too, said Tim Johansson, Opera's lead graphics developer."We might even see some Ogg!
Update: I scratched-out the WebGL part. I think that will be in a separate labs build instead.
Microsoft is making their successful Microsoft Office better by adding an online free version. Sadly this online version will only submit to majority of browsers. (According to Hitslink's inaccurate statistics) These browsers are IE, Firefox and Safari, this excludes Opera and Chrome.
A site that recently surfaced called MakeOfficeBetter is hosted by Microsoft employees that was designed to get users to submit ideas and support them. I submitted the idea of "Support for Opera and Chrome in Online Office." You can support this idea to stop another anti-trust here.
*I am not anti-Microsoft*
(Opera Unite button looked like this with 503 )
The Opera Unite Team has been working on making the Proxy stable and their work paid off, it now works. Now, after weeks of "Opera Unite error 503: The Opera Unite proxy server is currently not reachable. The network may be down" you can use Opera Unite error free!
(Now the Opera Unite button looks like this )
1. Opera 10.5 Regressions fixed
2. Smarter Address Bar
4. Improve the Opera Link
5. Remove the Fastforward and Rewind buttons