Stu's Opera Settings Import & Export Tool
Saturday, May 1, 2010 12:26:03 PM
A little freeware tool I wrote to take some of the pain out of managing/migrating/backing up/restoring Opera profiles. It allows backup and restore of your bookmarks, mail, contacts, sessions, preferences, etc and enables easy transfer of them between Opera installations in different folders or OSes. Also good for finding and restoring lost settings if they disappeared after an Opera upgrade...
The program should work fine, but making a manual backup of your settings before using it is never a bad idea. And if you have any suggestions or find any bugs, drop me a line!
- Easy to use
- Lets you preview your settings before importing or exporting
- Allows cleanly transferring individual settings without the cruft that can build up in an Opera profile folder
- Available for both Windows and Linux, and your settings can be transferred between OSes
- Intelligently locates all the Opera profiles on a typical Windows system, so good for finding "lost" profiles
- Stores settings files in their original state in an open archive (tar.gz) format, so your exported settings can always be easily restored by hand should the need arise
- Corrects .ini paths on import so settings imported from a different folder/OS work correctly
Current version: 0.993
- Windows version (515 kB) - download, unzip and run.
- Linux (GTK2) version 850 kB) - download, mark as executable and run.
- Update check updated for the homepage change and made more robust
- Fixed a problem on Windows 7 where checkboxes weren't clickable
- Fixed a crash on Ubuntu 10.04 (and possibly other newer Linux distros)
- Now compatible with Opera 10.5
- Added Spellcheck Dictionaries category
- Miscellaneous small fixes
- Fixed a crasher caused by certain characters in typed history entries
- Added "Bookmark/Search Icons" category, so bookmark/search/personal bar icons can be preserved on import
- Full Opera 10 compatibility, including Widgets category expanded to include Opera Unite services
- Updated to handle the changed folder structure in Opera 10 on Windows
- Fixed a rare bug with paths in the prefs that have trailing slashes
- More UI fixes and polish, and an application icon
- Will now gracefully handle Opera's changing default file names (bookmarks.adr/opera6.adr, global.dat/global_history.dat, opera.dir/typed_history.xml)
- Updated to handle the Opera 9.6+ XML typed history format
- A couple of minor path issues on Linux corrected
- Some small UI tweaks and fixes
- Debug log is not written by default now, run with -debug if you want it
- 0.93 beta
- Fixed a gzip CRC error when exporting which made the tar.gz archive appear to be corrupt
- 0.92 beta
- Added the option to delete old settings on import rather than just renaming them
- Don't prevent choosing an empty directory for export, just give a warning (allows starting from scratch and then picking and choosing what to export)
- Fixed a scrollbar update issue on Linux
- 0.9 beta
- Initial release.