HotkeyBB extension: announces & support
Friday, May 6, 2011 7:10:59 AM
HotkeyBB is intended for usage in forum/blog/guestbook reply fields. With HotkeyBB you can insert BB-code tags as fast as lightning not depending on BB-code buttons provided. You may simply insert BB-code tag pair or surround the selected text. Complicated tags with option (like [tag="option"]text[/tag]) are also supported. Depending on tag properties, you'll be prompted for option value or the selected text will be used as option.
HotkeyBB also supports URL-based site-specific options. You may adjust some tag insertion options according to the site requirements. Available options include: quote mode for tag option, tag bracket style (BB-code or HTML) and tag case.
This topic contains general announces of new versions and user feedback.
Current version: 1.6
Other screenshots see here.
* "Save and close" button actually closes Preferences page
+ Added warnings about Alt+Key shortcuts and shortcuts on Linux when non-Latin layout is active (actual up to Opera 12.10)
+ Warning box on Preferences page close when tag(s) with Alt+Key shortcut(s) present
+ Finnish Localization (thanks to Opeeera)
+ Added link for those who wish to translate HkBB
+ Options: added checkbox to select whether import/merge from file or clipboard
* Fixed numpad keys working tricky on Opera 12+
+ Tag toggling: if current selection or cursor position is surrounded with or contains tag TAG at its edges and user commands to insert the same tag TAG, this TAG is removed (would be doubled in previous versions).
* Options and Changelog bodies now adjust to the current page width
* CSS: "transition" properties added (-o* prefixes are obsolete in Opera 12.50)
* Preferences and Changelog pages have their own titles
* Fixed issue: debug message box shows wrong site options
* Open tag field length limit increased to 40 (some people find rather weird applications for HkBB so they needed more space)
* New default tags: [ LIST ] and [ * ] (list element)
* Translation: fixed Export declared to use File API too (when it's not)
+ Translation: added version check (shows warning about probable incompleteness/inactuality of translation)
* Options: fixed Export not saving changes before exporting
* Background script: fixed unnecessary version check on every page load (now checks only on extension load)
+ Options: added credits
+ Localization support, Russian localization added.
Now, with the new extension localization framework implemented, all the captions are localized.
+ Partial URLs in site options
Now you can add personal site options using wildcards. It means that you can use single option set for all subdomains, like all LJ blogs.
+ Export, import and merge the settings
Transfer HotkeyBB settings between PC's or Opera profiles. With merge tool, you can unite different tag sets.
+ Debug hotkey: show current url, domain, site opts
There's a catch in URL-based site options. When you open a page from www.example.com/comment.php, it's not guaranteed that text edit field on this page has the same address. It could be loaded from www.stuff.example.com/includes/editor.php or even absolutely different domain (like it is with blogspot.com blogs — edit field is loaded from blogger.com address). So if you find your site options not working, don't hurry bug-reporting to me. Upcoming version features a debug hotkey which helps you to discover the real address of any text field and also all current HotkeyBB options for it. Currently this hotkey is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F1 (fixed) but in the future it might become configurable.
* Prefs page: looks a little nicer (checkboxes, comboboxes, edits)
+ Added default item to "SiteOptions" list
+ Added license url in config.xml - eliminating warning in error console
+ New option "Default site options" - set Quotes, HTML, Uppercase modes globally
+ Feedback and blog links on Prefs page
+ Nicer links style on Prefs page
* Empty tags are ignored on save
+ Editable closing tags
+ Version check
+ Global "Quote mode" option
* Quotes are off by default
+ Site-specific options
Quotes - whether tag options should be surrounded by quotes
HTMLTag - use HTML-style tag brackets ( <> ) instead of BB-code ones (  )
TagUpperCase - insert tags in upper case
Currently only manual addition via Preferences page supported
* Tags are saved in lower-case
* Added HotkeyBB page URL to config.xml (one may go to HotkeyBB page from Extension manager page)
* Added info on new features to description
* Code cleanup & refactor, some error handling, scripts on Preferences page extracted into separate options.js file, typos fixed
+ Added: injected script now gets notifications of the changed preferences. No need to reload all pages for changes to take effect. Removed alert on "Save & close" button.
* Some minor code cleanups
Here in comments I'll try to do some support if needed. I'll also answer on reviews posted on the extension page.