AboutMany people are fans of open source software, which is typically free and often of very high quality. It has also become somewhat poilticized; many people like it because it generally isn't owned or created by corporations.
In fact, corporate corruption is the most urgent issue of our generation. Yet does it follow that all corporations should be hated?
In fact, not all corporations are corrupt, nor do they all make crappy products. Opera is the perfect example.
I loosely define "freedomware" as any software, including both open source and commercial software, that...
1) is of high quality,
2) is produced by a corporation that is not strikingly corrupt
3) and competes with software produced by corrupt corporations, particularly Microsoft.
Thus, software associated with Apple, Google and Opera rank high on my list.
This group complements the website www.freedomware.us. It will take some time for me to flesh out the details and get more content online. Things will hopefully be pretty squared away by mid-June (2008).
Thanks for visiting!
- Members must understand that FREEDOMWARE isn't the same thing as FREEWARE. Opera, Photoshop and PHP can all be classified as freedomware.
- Members don't have to possess a blinding hatred for all things Microsoft. However, they should understand that millions of people do hate M$, for a wide variety of reasons.
- It's OK to promote M$ products and services on their technical merits (e.g. Excel).