Reconnect 2012 was a conference I attended last weekend. It specifically focused on the issues and needs of church workers (usually volunteers) who operate sound systems, lighting systems, camera and projection systems and all other manner of tech things it takes to run most modern western churches.
It all started with a tweet on Twitter 8 months ago. Early bird registration was sold out in 3.5 weeks. Over
I was pretty impressed that they had seminar speakers in from the United States. The organizers took the scope and intensity of this conference very seriously. It will surely be larger and have more seminars next time.
- Good band on Friday thinks they are playing to a crowd of junior high kids. Most attendees were 30+ years old. Sound mix was brutal. Worst case of "we're so not into you" I have ever seen.
- The MC walks on stage opening night and begins talking. Her microphone isn't on. Everyone laughs at this unscripted classic gaff.
- Guest speaker early Saturday morning has lapel mic transmitter that doesn't work. He hits the little clip-on box and it begins working. More laughter from attendees.
- Worship music first thing Saturday was awesome and well mixed. Wasn't long enough.
- During late Saturday morning seminar, all power goes off in sanctuary; plunging it into total darkness and silence. *makes note to always check circuit breakers*
- Only a handful of equipment vendors, but interest in their wares was good.
Reconnect 2013 looks to be a sure thing.