widgets.opera.com 2.0 - the best place for you to share and find Opera Widgets
By Jonathan ShareSharebear. Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:24:32 AM
It's a been a while since we unleashed widgets.opera.com 2.0 on the world so we're long overdue a blog post from the devs regarding what we have done and where we intend to take things.
With implementations of Opera Widgets for devices and mobile phones developing fast, we knew we needed to evolve the site in order to keep up with new requirements as well as improving the experience for both users and widget developers. Below I will explain what we've achieved so far, and what is still yet to come.
Progress so far
The code under the hood has been completely rewritten, plus the following improvements have been made, to make widgets.opera.com better for the users and developers of the Opera Widgets community.
- Improved style and layout: The new site looks great in all major desktop browsers and the Internet Channel on the Nintendo Wii, we're also working on mobile specific optimisations at the moment.
- Improved upload process: We now do basic sanity checks on all files that are uploaded.
- Better versioning of widgets: This allows users to moderate widgets more securely, ensuring that end users only get quality widgets that are known to work.
- Bug tracking system: If you find a bug in a widget on the widgets.opera.com site you can now file a bug for the author rather than just mentioning it in a comment, where it may get lost. When logged in to widgets.opera.com as a widget author you get a quick summary of all the bugs that are registered on your widgets.
For those more interested in the technical details here are a couple of quick snippets of information. I hope to blog about some of the programming topics in more detail over coming weeks.
- 2 blade servers both with two 2GHz Intel Xeons and 4Gb RAM
- approximately 3,500,000 total requests per day (including media)
- Application Framework
- Templating Language
What's coming next?
Now that we have the new code base in a kind of stable state, what are we working on? From now on, you can expect to see us start on some of the more advanced features aimed at making widgets.opera.com a more tailored experience for the user.
If you have any feedback regarding features or bugs with the site then please raise it on the widgets forum. We do check up there regularly and try to provide a response whenever we can.