Getting XCF file compression support back in GIMP 2.8
Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:54:17 AM
It seems GIMP 2.8 didn't ship with this feature since development release 2.7.4. The plugin that enables compression is called "file-compressor". You can get it back to open and save compressed XCF files by:
* Go to the PPA of PPA of Matt Walker (which includes development releases of GIMP 2.8)
* Download the 32-bit or 64 bit of "gimp_2.7.3-2011052002~nn ... deb"
* Extract it and goto in the subfolder "plug-ins", for 64-bit version is it "gimp_2.7.3-2011052002~nn_amd64/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins"
* copy as root the file "file-compressor" from "gimp_2.7.3-2011052002~nn_amd64/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins" to "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins"
* After starting GIMP you can now open and save compressed XCF files (*.xcf.bz2, *.xcf.gz)