SXSW is the abbreviation for South by Southwest, the Music, Film, and Interactive conference and trade show extravaganza held in Austin, Texas annually. The format changes a bit year to year with three major parts overlapping, plus a trade show and lots of networking, interviews, and surprises. This show, more than any other, has a reputation for consuming the city, being very hip, and has a schedule so jam packed with events that barely stay in one spot for more than an hour, 20 hours a day, for the duration of your visit to Austin.
A brave team of Opera employees (our largest to date) has been here in Austin for a few days, skipping meals and fighting fatigue, attending or speaking at panels, meeting with the press, and setting up for the trade show portion, which begins tomorrow.
- Here's a glimpse at some of the panels and talks featuring Opera staff:
- Drawing Back the Curtains on CSS Implementation
- The Politics Behind HTML5
- Voices From The HTML5 Trenches: Browser Wars IV
At the trade show, our 600 square foot space is centrally located and features a really nice lounge setup. I'd show you the map, but we did something this year that will pretty much make all maps useless. In fact, I'm sure all other exhibitors will just refer to their own location by where it is in relation to Opera. Here's a teaser photo, taken today that may help to reveal why.
The Opera booth at SXSW will feature...
- Opera 11.10 beta (code name: Barracuda).
- New Opera Mini and Opera Mobile, also for tablets.
- Opera Dragonfly beta.
- Food, wine and beer on March 15th, at 4pm.
- A few fun surprises.