You need to be logged in to post in the forums. If you do not have an account, please sign up first.
Opera Version: 11.64
Platform: Mac OS X
One hint: this problem started happening after I deleted the Opera application, downloaded the latest version, and dragged the new version to my Applications folder. Prior to reinstalling Opera I had no problems.
I tried a deinstall and reinstall deleting opera preference files along the way but no luck.
Thanks for your suggestion. Interesting results. All my non opera browsers come back with good results and only fail on IPV6 specific tests. However opera times out on all the tests except the IPV4 only tests. I have some VMs on the machine that are running opera as well (Windows 7 & XP) and they are looking OK.
Not sure where to look next
Enclosed are the ifconfig and ipv6 tests.
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en1: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
media: autoselect (<unknown type>)
p2p0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2304
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 9000
inet6 fe80::ca2a:14ff:fe42:b306%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
inet 192.168.1.50 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,energy-efficient-ethernet>)
ham0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1404
inet 126.96.36.199 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 188.8.131.52
inet6 fe80::7879:5ff:fe8c:18f2%ham0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
inet6 2620:9b::58c:18f2 prefixlen 96
open (pid 100)
vnic0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:8%vnic0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
inet6 fec0:0:0:fea9::1 prefixlen 64
vnic1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:9%vnic1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xa
inet6 fec0:0:0:feaa::1 prefixlen 64
vmnet1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.133.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.133.255
vmnet8: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 172.16.227.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.227.255
I am struggling to see how this could be an ISP issue. I use google (184.108.40.206) as my DNS. I run safari, chrome, firefox and opera on this mac. All work fine except Opera and this was working fine until a couple of weeks ago. I also run quite a few Windows VMs on this machine where all browsers including opera run fine. Other windows machines on the network plus iPads/iphones also work fine for all browsers.
I think this points to either being a configuration issue with this install of Opera or an issue with Opera and Mac. I have done an uninstall of Opera presuming that this will reset the configuration but this hasn't helped. It still works for most sites but not bing, google etc.
Opera does work, but we rely on a fallback after a fixed timout instead of looking up IPv4 and 6 addresses in parallel. We will improve this in a future version.
Output of test-ipv6.com in Opera:
Same page, same machine, same network, same time in Chrome:
Output of ifconfig en0:
~> ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::ba8d:12ff:fe06:2cd4%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 10.11.12.190 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.11.12.255
using ip 220.127.116.11 opera loads www.google.com, but won't if i use the name not the ip address (safari, chrome loads www.google.com perfectly on the same machine, iMac 2010, lion 10.7.4)
it's effected all the google pages, mail, reader etc.
name resolution works fine, but even if i put 18.104.22.168 www.google.com in my hosts file that won't help either.
this is surely an opera problem.
i switched off every plugin and extension, cleared private data, deleted even the blocked content list, nothing helps.
same result as in your chrome test
Originally posted by fifthecho:
in both cases (starting the test with Opera)
Only difference is on the Test IPv6 without DNS that in safari give "BAD" and in Opera Timeout.
Originally posted by jwilbiz:
What is lacking in this thread is acknowledgement from Opera that they have a serious bug in MacOS. The fact that a workaround exists may help someone who must use Opera for some odd reason, but for most of us, we simply won't be using Opera in the future. For several years I used Opera, and was really bummed that I had to stop several months ago when this issue came up.
I had exactly the same thoughts.
(just one + thing, i've found confirmation of the problem from opera an developer here in the forum somewhere and also mentioned over there that opera works on this problem hardly)
7. September 2012, 18:27:20 (edited)
Eventually it boiled down to the fact that I had uninstalled Hamachi and installed a newer version. In the settings there is an option to use either ipv6, ipv4 or both for peer connections. (need to have advanced options enabled) It's set to both by default, so I just changed that to only use ipv4 and it's fixed my problems with Opera.