You need to be logged in to post in the forums. If you do not have an account, please sign up first.
New feature *Quick Tags* and list of related threads.Many community members writing a new post don't use the tag feature. Many also don't use the search, and if they do, it's sometimes not very effective. In the wishlist, I see myself posting links to old threads all the time (that I usually find in 'my subscriptions', btw). This is not very productive..
1) When reading a thread, you can highlight a buzzword anyone has posted, and click the "Quick Tag" button/link. Then the buzzword will be added to the tags for this thread.
2) The community engine uses the tags to calculate the 'relatedness' of threads.
3) Right/left or on top of the thread page, you see a list of other threads that are possibly related.
All this can be arbitrarily complicated - for instance,
(4) to be more effective, it might help to also calculate a 'relatedness' of tag keywords (if two words have the same meaning, for instance).
(5) if you follow a suggested link, the linked page can contain rating buttons on the bottom: "Is this thread really related to **? Yes/No/Maybe"
(6) the amount of tagging can be limited for each user / each thread / each post, or there can be some kind of weighting. Also, the number of letters or words in one tag can can be limited. Of course, this only makes sense if there is a problem with 'spam tagging'.
However, for the beginning, it doesn't need to be perfect, so 1, 2, 3 would be ok to make a try.
This is a great suggestion. I've written in to many posts a way to be able to more effectively tag items. This is a good suggestion.
23. July 2007, 13:48:26 (edited)