Network latency improvements, Microdata and QRESYNC
By RamūnasRamunas. Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:15:41 PM
My name is Ramūnas, and I'm a summer intern here at Opera HQ in Oslo. I'm in Desktop QA, doing bug testing for Windows/Mac and occasionally some Linux.
In this snapshot we have numerous Core updates and fixes, plus some very interesting mail work. I'd advise you to look through the changelog, though highlights include HTML5 Microdata work and network latency improvements on the Core side, and new QRESYNC support for Opera's mail client, M2.
For those not familiar, QRESYNC is an IMAP extension that enables you to synchronize message metadata using much less overhead. It allows clients to request all changes since the last time they were connected, instead of having to check each message for changes. Not all IMAP servers support it, but Opera's Fastmail and My Opera Mail of course lead the way. This change should be particularly welcome for users on capped or slow connections.
This build also contains improvements to the database backends used in Opera's mail client, M2. They will now create less fragmented files, allowing for faster writing and retrieving of data (though this does not apply to upgraded mail profiles).
Note: Due to changes in the mail storage format you cannot downgrade after your mail profile has been updated by this build. Therefore, we strongly recommend you backup your profile.
As always, let us know what you think and any new issues you encounter.
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.
- Network performance improvements - for high latency connections
- CORE-37823 (Very slow redraw of elements added by a bookmarklet)
- CORE-39445 (text-overflow: ellipsis doesn't fontswitch if font lacks full stop glyph)
- CORE-35923 (NPAPI Missing support for ClearSiteData): This allows Flash (and other plug-in) data to be cleared
- CORE-39378 (Change event does not fire when clicking label associated with checkbox)
- CORE-39462 (href of a link element is empty when the href is the document URL)
- CORE-37519 (string.replace with number reference returns a wrong string)
- CORE-28884 (Inset box-shadow for <input>)
- CORE-36758 (background-origin ignored in extra-ordinary conditions)
- CORE-33027 (Inconsistent handling of EOF, in CSS <color>, between the CSS parser and the <canvas> color parser)
- CORE-39163 (Update HTMLInputElement.stepUp()/stepDown())
- CORE-7579 (maxlength attribute of input element ignored if set to zero)
- CORE-35076 (HTML5 Forms: type=url, email incorrectly wider than type=text)
- CORE-39532 (Optimize the (source-)over filter)
- CORE-36783 (Spaces disappear when text in rich text editor is made bold (TinyMCE, Evernote.com))
- CORE-32992 (Opera not rending Lightbox properly - reading computed overflow on display:none div returns unexpected 'visible')
- CORE-38509 (It's possible to scroll overflow container with overflow: hidden using spatnav)
- CORE-24647 (Fixed-positioned boxes incorrectly creates a new stacking context)
- CORE-32455 (Plus sign allows text wrap on bild.de)
- CORE-25622 (HTML5 microdata): Not complete on Mac and Linux/FreeBSD
- CORE-40018 (Crash when accessing expert.no)
- CORE-40159 (http://jsfiddle.net ceased to function)
- Further crash fixes
- DSK-343044 (Video preload can freeze Opera)
- Added support for QRESYNC - efficient IMAP sync
- DSK-333904 (Grouped journaling + fragmentation fixes)
- DSK-338715 (Occasional Crash on marking e-mail messages as 'Not Spam')
- DSK-340672 (Mail in IMAP sent folder not marked as sent)
- DSK-324277 (Different mail tabs turn the same when Opera restarted)
- DSK-342555 (Opera crashes when you right click Opera on the Taskbar)
- Initial work towards GTK3 skinning support - no visible changes yet but look out for regressions in GTK2 support