Mail goes two-lined and grouped
By Rijk. Monday, November 7, 2011 3:33:30 PM
Two-lined message list
Opera Mail will now default to 'list on the left, message on the right', with the newest message on top, and always showing message threads. This layout uses a brand new two-lined list view. If you switch back to 'message below' or 'list only', you'll get the traditional single-line list again. This behavior can be changed using opera:config setting 'Mail View Two Lined Messages' (0=always single lined messages, 1=two-lined messages with 'message on the right', 2=always two-lined messages).
Opera will automatically group messages by date. You can also group them by unread status, by pinned status, or not at all.
Cleaned up look
The mail toolbars are simplified, and icons have been redesigned. In the two-lined messages list the column headers are removed (you can still sort using the 'Sort' button), icons that don't add useful information have been removed, labels are indicated with a single icon, etc. This gives an easier overview of the information that really counts: who sent what message?
Messages can now be shown in two ways: expanded to use all the available width, but now also with a limited width to make it easier to read. For newsfeeds (RSS, Atom), there's a separate design now.
The Quick Reply feature is now off by default. But when you enable it, it is now possible to see and control where the quick reply gets send to!
New settings dialogs
The 'View' dropdown menu with all its sub-menus has been replaced by an overlay dialog that can be reached by clicking the 'wrench' button. This dialog makes it easier to change mail window layout and other settings, and you can now also change the default sorting and grouping for all message views. To complement this, there's a separate overlay dialog to set custom sorting and grouping settings for each view. Click on the 'Sort' button above the message list to see this in action.
You can now 'pin' messages with one click in the message list or in the message headers, to mark a message for attention. This pinning is mapped to the IMAP \Flagged feature, so this will sync with 'starring' and 'flagging' in other IMAP clients, and with Gmail's starred messages.
Also included: a couple of mail bug fixes.
Reminder: Opera Next should not be downgraded, so install this build separately from your Opera 12.00 installation.
- Crash on installing spell check dictionaries
- Crash on editing mail signature
- Opera 11.60 snapshots will not be auto-updated (only 12.00 snapshots).
- Native Mac and Linux styling for the new mail window not done yet.
- Flash Player 11 crashes on Mac. We recommend disabling it or downgrading for the time being.
- This is an Opera build not Opera Next. You should backup your stable profile before upgrade.
Changelog since the previous 11.60 snapshot
- CORE-41959 print preview broken for multipart/* documents (breaks mail printing)
- CORE-42479 Crash on installing extension
- CORE-42024 Stack exhaustion due to deeply recursive compilation of RE construct
- CORE-42088 Avoid blowing the stack when compiling regexp loop sequences
- DSK-349634 Search engines are with no icons
- DSK-349628 Opera should not crash on exit after checking for mail/RSS
- Two-lined message list
- New message display window
- Message grouping
- Support for Pinning, mapped to IMAP \Flagged
- Quick Reply redesign
- New overlay dialogs for the mail view settings
- Ctrl-Enter to send quick reply
- Update mailproviders.xml for iCloud
- DSK-201988 Message displayed even though no message selected
- DSK-222658 Show image enclosures inline in feeds
- DSK-260891 Paste with mouse in Mail Compose window is mouse position dependant
- DSK-277400 Message formatting is slow
- DSK-309380 Enable Fit to Width for Opera Mail
- DSK-311982 Show account connection status in mail panel
- DSK-319023 Unread in Mail panel returns after a restart
- DSK-340859 Messages in INBOX are not fetched before the folder is selected on Gmail accounts
- DSK-342882 Mail data is corrupted, all mail redownloads
- DSK-343439 after deleting a block of mail, selected message is not next to the selected block
- DSK-343444 Cannot Rename Folders for RSS Feeds
- DSK-344164 Remove '[x] from loading database progress bar
- DSK-344565 Need to mark message as read twice before it is read
- DSK-345346 Expunged messages in other clients are not expunged in Opera Mail
- DSK-348639 Broken progress bar skin with windows native skin