64-bit builds and new Core with HTML5 Drag and Drop, CSS Animations, updated CSS Transitions, and Out of Process Plugins
By Haavardhaavard. Monday, March 26, 2012 12:00:00 PM
For more details on Core changes in this build, including demos for the new HTML5 and CSS3 features, head over to the Opera Developer Relations blog.
This build introduces initial support for HTML5 Drag and Drop, a technology that allows Web pages to drag elements, selections and microdata from one page onto another, or drag files from the operating system and drop them onto a Web page.
Currently, there are some bugs and limitations with this initial HTML5 Drag and Drop support, such as issues with dragging to and from external applications. We have created a forum thread for HTML5 Drag and Drop where you can view known issues, discuss bugs, and post general feedback.
You may also notice that some existing demos do not seem to work properly. The reason for this is that they sometimes rely on behaviors that do not comply with the specification. As we continue our work on this feature, we will look further into this and try to come up with a solution.
We have added experimental support for CSS Animations, which introduce a way to specify animations that can be more intricate than CSS Transitions, and can keep running continuously.
Our CSS Transitions support has also been updated. With CSS Transitions, rendering changes that normally happen instantly can be made to gradually happen over time instead. Among other things we have updated color transitions, enabled transitions on background positions, box shadows and more, and added the ability to transition through one or more abrupt steps.
64-bit builds with Out of Process Plugins
The final big update is the inclusion of out-of-process plugins for the first time in a snapshot (previous OOPP builds were Opera Labs releases). For those unfamiliar with OOPP, the benefits are twofold. Running plugins in a separate process gives Opera a level of protection from plugin instability, which was one of the most common sources of browser crashes and freezes. OOPP should give a major boost to Opera's own stability, and allows the possibility of running 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit browser.
For Mac, we’ll cease to distribute the 32-bit build and only distribute a Universal Binary containing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. This means all users on systems that supports it will use 64-bit or otherwise fallback to 32-bit from now on.
Whilst our new OOPP implementation is now of snapshot quality it is still work in progress. We have further nice improvements lined up but don't let that stop you reporting any problems that you see.
- DSK-359770 Out of Process Plugins causing tab related freezes (mostly on startup)
- HTML5 Drag and Drop is work in progress. Things like dragging to and from external applications may not work. Some existing demo sites may not work fully
- HTML5test.com could freeze or show other problems on Mac
- OTW-8246 Opera 64-bit on Windows not supported on Google+ (google plus)
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.
- Several crash fixes
- Translation updates
- Support for Out-of-process plug-ins across desktop platforms
- 64-Bit support on Windows and Mac
- Fixes to the tab/window extensions API
- CORE-11806 Initial support for HTML5 Drag and Drop
- CORE-32938 Enable the stream functionality in the multimedia cache: media files to be streamed instead of downloaded to disk
- CORE-39801 Download detected as .zip and extension is changed when saving, breaking the intended filename/use
- CORE-43563 Freeze on absolute positioned textarea with wrap=off adjacent to block element with auto overflow
- CORE-43253 window.close should fail if window was not opened by script
- CORE-31587 Redirected links not remembered as visited across sessions
- CORE-43828 Unite apps removed after failure to start using opera:unite
- CORE-39204 Make a leading BOM (Byte Order Mark) authorative (overriding HTTP)
- CORE-40113 XSLT variable reference in secondary sort key throws error
- CORE-43633 Some elements are rendered into the BackgroundImage buffer twice
- CORE-43888 Pseudo Element is not removed from DOM after removing a class that was required for it
- CORE-41942 Support structured cloning and Transferables
- CORE-43552 Absolute positioned box with auto margin-top and explicit top,bottom, margin-bottom is misplaced
- CORE-43529 Drop XML (application/x-www-form+xml) form encoding
- CORE-43886 Correctly support TypedArray(TypedArray array)
- CORE-43926 Follow spec for String.prototype.split(undefined)
- CORE-35305 x-mac-ukrainian not supported
- CORE-34488 Expose buffered ranges in <video controls>
- CORE-43223 HTML DOM changes made to <foreignObject> in svg document through script are not visible
- CORE-27622 Don't fire timeupdate if a timeupdate handler is still running
- CORE-43284 Unusual network event sequences on some requests in beetle.de
- CORE-44214 Crash related to changing geolocation site permission
- CORE-42398 Update scope WidgetManager service to include recent changes: update details, more debug info
- CORE-44162 Opera loses advanced download settings after restart
- CORE-44089 Codecademy.com: getComputedStyle font-size of element with pointer-events rule fails
- CORE-44131 dropzone does not work over inline box children
- CORE-43116 <link>ed stylesheet with @import moves floated objects out of container on load, reload, refresh
- CORE-43481 Do not paint default document background under image objects such as svg (the background should be transparent)
- CORE-37602 Keyboard navigation cannot get past a cleared element following a floated object
- CORE-44107 E.dataset locks if Object.keys is applied before E.setAttribute
- CORE-44093 <input> attribute size default != 20
- CORE-42880 A gif animation stops at fourth frame in opera (other browsers shows it fine)
- CORE-43804 Canvas fillText incorrectly centers text when using font outlines
- CORE-44280 Surrogate pairs should not work in CSS escape sequences
- CORE-38059 Update our transitions implementation and implement CSS Animations
- CORE-43149 Facebook chat list scrolls back up - setting style on overflow element with generated content
- CORE-24242 Remove readystatechange events for SCRIPT element: fixes on Facebook, tripadvisor, Bing, Google Maps etc.
- CORE-42999 Unable to login via vkontakte.ru social plugin - window.close after document.domain
- CORE-43390 setAttribute('dir') resets selection, position in inputs: Unable to select some text on Twitter
- CORE-35849 Submit event wrongly fired BEFORE client-side validation in HTML5 forms
- DSK-337216 Extend MIME types to accociate more supported formats with Opera on Linux/FreeBSD
- DSK-335820 Opera replaces existing saved files without warning when the File Name field in the Save As dialog does not show the file extension on Windows
- DSK-340710 New tab button overlaps the Extender menu button and tabs when Tab Bar is placed right or left
- DSK-358079 Fixed the flashing of the title bar when a personas is active and the Opera window is activated or deactivated