Next address field adjustments
By Blazej Kazmierczakbkazmierczak. Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:55:59 AM
Previously there were some complains that Opera fails on searching parts of URL. From now on it should be much easier to find your favorite pages simply by typing words in address field.
For example, lets say you have important friends on Facebook. Assume you have visited https://www.facebook.com/barackobama previously. You would expect to be able to find it by typing "barack" in the addressbar. Starting from this snapshot you will be able to see proper suggestions in the drop down for the address and title of secure pages.
Handling more than one word provided in the address bar was not handled really well previously, as it resulted in matching only page content. This meant that the URL and title was not taken into account when typing multiple words. This has now been improved upon as well, allowing you to better norrow down your searches.
Try visiting example http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-virtu-mvp-benchmark,3174.html and than typing "virtu" or "virtu mvp" in addressbar, like so:
In addition, the ordering of items in the drop down has been improved to better promote nicely matching rows when multiple words have been provided.
Providing entries with patterns similar to "5.60 NOK in USD", "foo.bar baz" or "Info.plist" should now execute the default engine searching instead of trying to open the page, rather than resulting in the "Invalid URL" page being displayed. Though we realise that there is still a little bit more work to be done to improve this even further.
Finally the "Show more" button will not be visible now, if there is only one more row to be displayed
Note that if you don't like to see Google suggestions in front of other items in the dropdown, you might turn it off in the config (this is not a new thing).
- DSK-358448 Runtime error 6025 pure virtual function call at startup Opera Next for some users
- DSK-359770 Out of Process Plugins causing tab related freezes (mostly on startup)
- HTML5 Drag and Drop is work in progress. Things like dragging to and from external applications may not work. Some existing demo sites may not work fully
- HTML5test.com could freeze or show other problems on Mac
- OTW-8246 Opera 64-bit on Windows not supported on Google+ (google plus)
- DSK-361109 Address dropdown not populated when searching page content with multiple words
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.
- Improved heuristics in addressbar drop down suggestion
- Adjusted number and placement of search suggestions in the address field drop down
- Added some preferences to change default URL search behavior
- CORE-45071 (Address field drop down does not show matches for page titles or address for https pages or with no-store, no-cache)
- DSK-357357 (Fix for crash on exit): "This should fix 'Pure Virtual' problems for some users but further work will be needed"
- DSK-359671 (Searching from address bar doesn't work if first word(s) resembles a domain or a protocol)
- DSK-354079 (Turbo badge flickers when typing in the address field)
- DSK-357056 (Do not show search engine keyword in address field when selecting search suggestions)