Update on hardware acceleration in Opera 12
By Huib Kleinhouthuibk. Friday, April 20, 2012 12:00:00 PM
There's also another change in this snapshot. After careful consideration and extensive testing, we've decided to let users of Opera 12 opt-in to WebGL and hardware acceleration.
We're doing this for an important reason. We want to bring the first true hardware accelerated browser to market. This means using the graphics processor to boost rendering speeds not only for the pages themselves, but also the UI of the browser. It means making it an awesome experience for as many Opera desktop users as possible, whether they're on Windows XP, Linux or Lion.
But in some cases, our hardware accelerated speeds do not yet beat our incredibly optimized software backend, Vega. Shipping a feature that could actually be less effective at boosting speed is a big no-no, especially if its a final release that many people will use for day-to-day browsing.
Now, if you're reading this blog post, you're probably in the group of people who will want to turn on WebGL and hardware acceleration. You enable these features by setting both opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableHardwareAcceleration and opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableWebGL to 1, then saving and restarting Opera.
Try it in this release and see how you like it. We think it ensures that Opera 12 will be a great release for everyone, whether you are a browser expert or just discovering Opera for the first time.
As Wahoo is approaching a beta release, we're focusing on stability and fixing regressions. This build includes an important performance and stability fix for plugins on Windows, and should speed up scrolling with plugins significantly.
- HTML5 Drag and Drop is work in progress. Things like dragging to and from external applications may not work. Some existing demo sites may not work fully
- HTML5test.com could freeze or show other problems on Mac
- OTW-8246 Opera 64-bit on Windows not supported on Google+
- DSK-361109 Address dropdown not populated when searching page content with multiple words
- CORE-45774 [Windows] [HWA] Border-color messes up background colour for element with border-radius with DirectX
- DSK-357831 [Windows] [HWA] Negative letter spacing with DirectX on 64-bit builds
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.
- CORE-44954 hp.com crashes Opera with Hardware Acceleration on
- Disable Hardware Acceleration by default
- DSK-361356 Opera crashes when closing page while it is scrolling
- DSK-346047 'Close all tabs' setting in delete private data dialog doesn't close windows with just Speed Dial tab
- DSK-341531 Hovering the close button on Speed Dial steals its hover state, while it should propagate it.
- DSK-357909 Back and forward buttons disappear on upgrade
- DSK-360104 Page zoom resets when opened in background tab
- DSK-360691 Long Russian text in address bar crashes opera
- DSK-360962 Check documents/images should take into account languages with more than one plural tense
- Further stability improvements
- New compose window design
- DSK-356875 [Feature] A new preference dialog for the compose Window
- DSK-359616 [Feature] Add option to set default outgoing account in the options dialog
- DSK-360404 [Feature] Improve design of mail header buttons
- DSK-329302 [Feature] Support for opening and editing attachments from compose window
- DSK-343710 Compose window header fields get hidden even if there is content in them
- DSK-328161 Reply-To field in mail compose does not auto-complete/suggest addresses
- DSK-357118 Cannot enable spell checking of email subject
- DSK-129539 "Send by mail" from selected text should add the URL to the compose window
- DSK-358693 Mail compose window unusable with black windows theme
- DSK-356452 Print preview shortcut doesn't work for mail window
- DSK-357232 Quick Reply text not deleted after sending
- DSK-357515 Mail body lengthens for ever after toggling expand state off and on
- DSK-349396 Don't hide compose window fields on switching 'From' account to and from a newsgroups account
- DSK-330184 Editing Preferences while composing a plain text message causes the HTML toolbar to appear
- DSK-358044 Can't copy/move mail between two accounts if mail separator is selected
- DSK-358565 Make Attachment field keyboard accessible in tab sequence
- DSK-361056 Hardware acceleration using DirectX
- DSK-361734 BSOD when accessing the Camera
- DSK-360014 [OOPP] Performance issues and freezes with plugins: This does not fix all performance issues
- DSK-301447 Web page right click menu item "Open With" does not show Chrome installation
- DSK-359032 [OOPP] Going back and forward in history with a tab containing Windows Media Player plugin, Opera freezes shortly
- DSK-355355 [OOPP] Windows Media Player player plugin controls corrupted after scrolling
- DSK-359021 [OOPP] Resizing Opera's window so that part of a plugin is out of view, then resizing it back, the plugin is clipped
- DSK-359168 [OOPP] Artifacts on Shockwave for Director plugin after scroll
- DSK-361531 Colors not properly converted for image from camera
- DSK-347812 Update to Growl/Mist 1.3: Growl notifications by default even without it being installed
- [OOPP] IME fixes
- CT-2336 [OOPP] Plugin not repainted when scrolling
- DSK-356081 [OOPP] Silverlight 5 and Flash application keyboard repeat is broken
- DSK-216092 [OOPP] Scrolling on flash does not work
- DSK-350738 [OOPP] Focus stolen after clicking on a plugin
- DSK-356940 [OOPP] No context menu for Flash
- DSK-357531 [OOPP] Flash plugin crashes after applying fit to width to a page
- DSK-358908 We should use Gtk3 styling under Unity on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) and above
- DSK-361345 Preferences tabs are missing pixels in KDE and Gtk after recent Core upgrade
- DSK-360296 [OOPP] Plugin wrapper continues to run after Opera closes
- CT-2446 [OOPP] Keyboard doesn't work for some plug-ins
- CT-2445 [OOPP] Unable to interact with Flash game QWOP