Beta stabilisation and Mac clean-up
By Adam Minchintonminch. Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:48:00 PM
On Mac we are endeavoring to become better by making Opera faster, easier and smarter. To achieve this we are with this snapshot adding more native OS X features as well as discontinuing some less relevant features.
Opera was the first major web browser in the Mac App Store, and we are making sure we stay there by introducing support for OS X Sandboxing in Opera 12. Sandboxing is a operating system level security measure that limits an applications access to the system to prevent malicious code from taking over an app and causing damage to the system. OS X Mountain Lion also introduces Gatekeeper, protecting users by only allowing Apple developer signed or sandboxed applications run on the system. Opera will be one of these applications. Look forward to even more of OS X Mountain Lion's new features in the future.
This snapshot also includes a more focused user interface for Mac. Legacy toolbars such as the start bar, navigation bar and the bar that once upon a time was the “main” browser toolbar, are all gone. Furthermore, the introduction of Themes in Opera 12 have made us remove the advanced preferences overriding things like the default icon size and the color tone of the skin. Finally, we have removed some little used features on Mac; IRC chat and BitTorrent. For these we believe there are better alternatives than the current features, and this move allow us to focus our resources on the stuff that really makes the browser better.
All these changes are only applicable for Mac for now.
- DSK-363145 (Tab close button is not ignored over inactive background tab when tab width is narrow)
- DSK-362951 ([Mac] Only English dictionary and dict. installer is non-functional)
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.
Sandboxed Mac version
We have included with this snapshot a sandboxed version of Opera so you can try out what we will be distributing though the Mac App Store in the future. Please give it a try and let us know if you have any problems, and remember to read the extra information and warnings below. If in doubt stick to the standard snapshot
Important notes for Mac users: Auto-update is disabled for the sandboxed build. It will not receive newer snapshots or final releases automatically. Your Opera Next profile will be migrated into a sandboxed profile when running a sandboxed build for the first time. Please backup your profile before running the build in case you want to go back to a non-sandbosed build.
MAC WARNING: Mac users who opt for the sandbox build must backup their Opera Next profiles. The profile will be migrated to the sandbox when running a sandboxed build for the first time.
- DSK-360046 Crash in mail list view
- DSK-359288 Hovering the close button in an inactive tab steals its hover state, while it should propagate it
- DSK-361399 Dragging street view icon on the the map doesn't work
- DSK-358350 Can't drag and drop mail labels
- DSK-360118 Dragging and dropping extension's config.xml installs extension in developer mode twice
- DSK-360566 Drag and drop of categories in mail panel doesn't fully work
- DSK-358888 Clicking the middle mouse button does not cancel drag
- DSK-358980 Modifier keys don't work
- DSK-359363 Wrong icon when dragging bookmark to empty part of the bookmarks panel
- DSK-359434 Dragged object is lost when hovering over side panel
- DSK-359456 Drag and drop an attachment in the mail body opens the file instead of attaching it
- DSK-359753 empty file 'defaults' created when dragging file from and dropping it on the downloads manager
- DSK-362022 [Linux] Forms look weird when using opera and gnome 3.4 using Adwaita as GTK+ theme
- Removed IRC client
- Removed Start bar
- Removed Navigation bar
- Removed Main bar
- Removed BitTorrent support
- Cleaned up Appearance dialog
- DSK-361325 'macappstore' protocol links cannot find App Store.app
- DSK-360541 Links from external programs opens in private tabs when a private tab is focused
- DSK-361587 Minimized window temporarily brought back up from the Dock when creating a new window
- DSK-360769 Wrong key name Atl for Alt key in menus
- DSK-362826 Some deep nested sub menus do not appear on hover
- DSK-359600 Dragging on scrollbar fails