Increased security when installing extensions
By Remigiusz Bondarowicz2beR. Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:56:40 AM
Extensions hosted from addons.opera.com are carefully moderated and as such they can be installed in Opera with a minimum of effort. However, since we have no way of knowing the moderation practices of third-party repositories, we need to be more careful with them.
Having studied how people install and use extensions we came to the conclusion that current security dialog is somewhat deficient, in that many users will simply click-through it and add new repositories to the trusted list, without fully understanding the consequences of such an action.
For that reason, we decided to "raise the security bar" and make installation of third-party extensions require a little more thought. Starting with this build we block installation of extensions from all repositories that are not already in the trusted list. Those who understand the risks can click on the help button in the new dialog to find how how to add further repositories to their trusted list. With this change we hope to eliminate accidental additions.
This build also includes a small but nice collection of bug fixes. Enjoy and thanks in advance for the feedback.
Known Issues (see also issues from previous snapshots):
- The Extensions help page is subject to further changes
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.
- DSK-359702 Installation of third-party extensions needs to be safer
- DSK-372133 [Mac] Address field drop-down blinks
- DSK-372147 [Mac] Crash when closing/opening tabs with keyboard short cuts
- DSK-361961 [Linux/FreeBSD] Text in badge positioned too low
- DSK-368636 [Linux/FreeBSD] Multiple selected urls can't be dragged and dropped from links panel to filemanager
- DSK-369738 Sound notifications fail
- DSK-330884 Mouse action does not always apply to the current tab after switching tabs
- DSK-366218 Address bar focused instead of page when using extensions that open new tabs
- EDIT: The Linux/FreeBSD builds have been updated with working plugin wrappers