By Remigiusz Bondarowicz2beR. Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:00:00 AM
Today we released Opera 11.50 aka Swordfish. With its new streamlined body and highly powerful interior it becomes the most dangerous predator on the internet waters.
Opera Swordfish, with its innovative Speed Dial extensions, makes your Speed Dial more alive than ever before. Now you can get all the information you need straight from your Speed Dial, without the need to go to the page. All of this is made possible thanks to the smart Speed Dial extensions, which you can download and install from our addons portal.
Beside that, Opera 11.50 allows you to easily synchronize your passwords between computers.
This way you can access your favorite services, without repeatedly typing in your passwords on different computers.
Opera 11.50 is equipped with our newest rendering engine - Presto 2.9.168 -- featuring up to 20% faster rendering of CSS and SVG, support for HTML5 tag <time>, Session History and Navigation and many other enhancements.
We would like to thank you all for helping us out with the testing and your constructive feedback.
If you have Opera 11.50 RC5 installed, then you already have the final version.Download Opera 11.50Official Change Logs
By Alexey Feldgendlerfeldgendler. Friday, March 11, 2011 3:33:37 PM
Today's snapshot fixes numerous issues, including Speed Dial bugs, various crashes, and content blocker synchronization problems.
In the previous build, we changed the way we display thumbnails/images in Speed Dial. This was done to make it easier to recognize your favorite web sites quicker. If you would like to learn more about how your site can control what appears in Opera's Speed Dial, Dev.Opera has a more detailed overview of the available options
. When a site doesn't specify the look of the Speed Dial image, Opera tries to zoom in on the page to make it more recognizable.
This build does not contain any changes to the way Speed Dial thumbnails are generated, but there are numerous bug fixes to Speed Dial in general.
Take a look at the changelog for more information on the changes since the previous build.Known issues
WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.Download
- Crash on startup for some users
- Windows Installer crashes for some users
- Fraud protection not working correctly
- Check for updates entry is sometimes missing on the Mac
- Custom searches are not always preserved after upgrade
- Possible clipping of some dialogs under Linux/FreeBSD
- Some Speed Dials refresh every second if you upgrade between 11.10-2020 and 11.10-2025: This only affects snapshot users and will not affect those who upgrade from the stable, so will not be fixed.
By Arjan van LeeuwenAVL. Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:51:00 PM
The last two updates you got weren't that exciting, so we wanted to give you some more stuff to play with today. There are many improvements in the speed dial, but the first thing you might notice is that thumbnails are now generated differently.
Instead of always generating a thumbnail of the whole page, Opera intelligently tries to find a representative part of the site to display. To do that, it searches through all the images on the page and scores them based on size, position and file name. For example, an image called 'logo.png' in the top left corner will be a good candidate. Opera will make a thumbnail of the surroundings of that image, making it clearer which site is in the thumbnail.
Alternatively, it's possible to specify exactly what your page's thumbnail should look like. If your page knows how to handle the 'minimized' view mode
, Opera will use that in the speed dial. If you don't need a dynamically changing thumbnail, you can specify an image to use for your page by linking it in the page's <head> like this (the image should be at least 114x114 pixels):
<link rel="image_src" type="image/jpeg" href="thumbnail.jpg">
Websites now also have the possibility to tell Opera how often they want their thumbnail updated. The Preview-refresh HTTP header can be used for this purpose. The example below will cause the thumbnail for this website to be refreshed every 10 seconds:
<meta http-equiv="preview-refresh" content="10">
Apart from all that goodness Opera now makes it easier for you to install plugins if you don't have them installed on your system. And of course there are all the bug fixes in this snapshot... I could talk about this for days
. Check the full changelog for all the details.WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.Download
By Petter Nilsenmitchman2. Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:00:00 AM
As always we have some new goodies for you, things you have not seen in previous snapshots.
Because I've had a finger or two into making these features I will present them for you and explain a little bit how they work. Visual Tabs - oh shiny!
Yes, we have added thumbnails on the tabs themselves to make it even easier to find that Web site you were looking for. These visual tabs are currently folded away by default, but can easily be enabled by dragging the drag handle available just beneath the tab bar.
Double-clicking or middle-clicking the same drag handle will show/hide the tab thumbnails. Speed Dial - more shiny!
Two popular requests for Speed Dial has been to be able to use more than 9 configured sites. We've also seen frequent requests to be able to have a customized Speed Dial background. Well, guess what?
In the bottom right of the Speed Dial you now have a new Configure Speed Dial button that opens a brand new configuration dialog.
With this new configuration dialog, you will be able to set a background picture that can be stretched, centered or tiled. It is also possible to set the number of sites that should be shown, ranging from 4 to 25. More new features
If the last version of Opera you tested was 9.6 or the alpha from last year, here are some of the additional features in Opera 10 beta 1:
- Opera Turbo
- Automatic updates
- Crash logging
- Inline spelling checker
- 100/100 and pixel-perfect on the Acid3 test
- Significantly improved performance, particularly on CSS/HTML rendering
- Opera Mail HTML Compose support
- ... and much more!
This is just some of the new features we have included in the beta and I urge you to read the complete change logs available from http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/
for all the details. Changes since the last snapshotUnix support
On the Linux/Unix front, we are discontinuing support for builds made with gcc 2.95. Also, Sparc Solaris builds are now made on Solaris 10 (with gcc 3) - they should run on Solaris 9 as well. If these changes affect you, we'd love to hear your feedback.Skinning improvements
- [DSK-253666] "new tab" button is too tall in multi-line setup
- Partial [DSK-253753] Closed tabs icon on the right: When set to "text only", the text is nearly unreadable (partially black on black), and touches the right part of the screen)
- [DSK-253759] Cancel button in mail panel way to unobtrusive
- [DSK-253818] Locked tabs change size when being hovered
- Fix for highlight of head and tail bar images
- Fixes for the head and tail gaps in Windows Native skin
- Fixes for pagebar head and tail icons in Windows Native skin
- Opacity changes to Speed Dial on standard skin
- New skin sections: "Pagebar Thumbnail Head Skin", "Pagebar Thumbnail Tail Skin", "Pagebar Thumbnail Floating Skin", "Pagebar Thumbnail Head Button Skin", "Pagebar Thumbnail Tail Button Skin", "Pagebar Thumbnail Floating Button Skin"
- Fix for attention states on tabs
- Updated smilies. They are now more smiley.
- Tweaks to borders on addressbar and splitter to be consistent color
- Tweaks to dialogs
- Revised panel icons and buttons
- Revised icons for mail toolbar
- [DSK-194184] Can't find 'show Speed Dial at startup' option)
- [DSK-253774] Crash in action handling
- [DSK-226623] Ctrl+Ins doesn't copy outside of edit fields
- [DSK-253386] Crash when clicking help in startup dialog
- [DSK-253202] Replace 'Language' with 'Dictionary' in dictionary download wizard
- [DSK-253550] Turbo notification is cropped if the turbo icon is placed on the right of the window
- Removing obsolete ini-entry "view hotlist"
- [DSK-253731] Opens broken Compose Message view when creating new account
- [CORE-21309] Full language names in spell check context menu
- [CORE-21052] XSLT: Using keys in match expressions causes crash
- [DSK-253743] Operator cache deleted when Opera starts
- [DSK-251805] Hang when doubleclicking text while flash is running
- [DSK-253773] Plug-in crash
- [DSK-253102] Classic installer can't be used to install Opera on a limited account or Windows Vista with admin account
- [DSK-253374] Crashes on download of file when 'Save File' dialog pops up.
- [DSK-253884] "Debug: Elevated updater" dialog when autoupdating
- [DSK-253888] Can't autoupdate Opera on Windows Vista
- [DSK-252555] Opera Crashes on Startup on PowerPC
- Correcting issue on Mac Pagebar
- [DSK-253567] Crashes on Solaris
- [DSK-253761] Crash in Plug-in manager
Last but not least - go download the Beta!