Thoughts on CSS Snapshot 2007
Monday, November 12, 2007 4:38:39 PM
- It is refreshing that the W3C is being responsive, and Fantasai is going a great job at the much needed and appreciated outreach. Being more transparent helps a great deal.
- Any feature that has more than one implementation should be listed with a short justification why it isn't included or ready. This could be one justification for the whole module if appropriate, such as Media Queries or multi column layout. It doesn't have to be indepth.
- The same should be true if a module is listed as a recommendation. Again it could be as simple as
We found a major issue and are looking at how to resolve it. If properties in a module aren't so interrelated, it is likely that issues will only be present in some properties and not others.
- There should perhaps be suggestions for properties that have some issues but a implementation would be useful with a vendor prefix, so that issues can be ironed out.
- A timeline for when the snapshot should reach recommendation, and when the next snapshot will likely be would be useful too.
- Properties that have at least two implementations, but are not ready should be put on a fast track process for ironing out the issues, with the aim of getting them in the next snapshot, even if their module isn't ready.
The properties I feel that are ready, even though their module may not be include
text-shadow (even though WebKit acts differently by not implementing multiple shadows. I'd assume
box-shadow should be ready too as it works similarly to text-shadow.