My Opera is closing 3rd of March

..out of the dark

More on the UN resolutions.

"U.N. Unanimously Approves Iran Sanctions"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/23/AR2006122300114.html

But Russia, a close commercial partner of Iran, stripped the resolution of some of its toughest measures, including a travel ban on Iranian officials linked to the country's most sensitive nuclear programs.

Still, Saturday's agreement capped two-and-a-half months of grueling Security Council negotiations over the response to Iran's refusal to heed the U.N. demand to halt its enrichment of uranium. It also set the stage for a new U.S. push to convince its European allies to follow up with their own national sanctions.




"Europeans Yield on Iran Sanctions
(Concession at U.N. Aimed at Securing Curbs on Nuclear Trade)"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/20/AR2006122001773.html

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told a group of newspaper reporters Tuesday that the resolution had been crafted to target Iranian officials directly involved in Iran's most sensitive nuclear programs while avoiding unnecessary hardships on ordinary Iranians.

As diplomats jousted Wednesday, President Bush harshly condemned the Iranian government's recent conference questioning the historical accuracy of the Holocaust. "All that said to me was . . . that the leader in Iran is willing to say things that really hurts his country and further isolates the Iranian people," Bush said at a news conference. He added: "My message to the Iranian people is: You can do better than to have somebody try to rewrite history."



This is, obviously, what is already in place. In other news:
"Iran Held Liable In Khobar Attack"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/22/AR2006122200455.html

Lamberth's decision in the lawsuit, which was filed in 2002 by the families of 17 victims, reverses a lower magistrate judge who said evidence linking the Iranian government to the bombing was not convincing.

Lamberth said the leading experts on Hezbollah, a Shiite militant group based in Lebanon, presented "overwhelming" evidence that the Iranian military worked with Saudi Hezbollah members to execute the attack, and the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence and Security provided money, plans and maps to help carry out the bombing. Six Hezbollah members captured after the attacks implicated Iranian officials.


Which is no doubt the difference between listening uncritically to Louis Freeh or not. Freeh was the one who initially filed the case, and has since insisted on having the legal papers in order to undoubtedly implicate Iran.

Thankfully, no intrepid journalist actually asked for a confirmation on what these testimonies were, though, and we're all left with more speculation. Hopefully this will be available sooner rather than later...

Things are ramping up...More on the theory of winning in Iraq.

Write a comment

New comments have been disabled for this post.