Sunnah of Eating
By غرباء stranger garibmuhacir. Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:03:45 PM
Sunnah of Eating
بسم اللہ الرحمن الرحیم
1. To wash both the hands before and after meals. (Sunan Abi Dawud Hadtith3755)
2. To sit on the floor. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5386)
3. To sit in one of the following three postures;
a) In the Tashahhud position (like in Salaat) (Fathul Baari Hadith5399),
b) Same as above with the right knee raised, (Ibid; Takhrijul Ihyaa Hadith1304) and
c) In the squatting posture (Sahih Muslim Hadith5299).
4. To eat with the fingers (thumb, index and middle fingers). (Sahih Muslim Hadith5265 and Majmauz-zawaaid)
5. To take the name of ALLAH before eating. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5376)
6. To eat with the right hand. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5376)
7. To eat from the closest part of the plate and not from the middle. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5376)
8. As far as possible, to eat collectively from one plate. (Ibn Kathir Surah24 Aayat61; Sunan ibn Majah Hadith3287)
9. To clean every bit of food left on the plate and to lick the fingers before washing them. (Sahih Muslim Hadith5268)
10. To recite the various Masnoon du'aas after meals. One of them is, 'Alhamdulillaahil ladhiy at'amanaa wa saqaanaa wa ja'alanaa muslimeen'. (Sunan Abi Dawud)
Why Revive a Sunnah?
1. The Prophet’s (pbuh) way is the best way.
“Truly, in the Messenger of ALLAH you have a good example to follow for the one who hopes for the Meeting with ALLAH and the Last Day and remembers ALLAH much.” [AlAhzab:21]
2. The Sunnah of the Prophet [pbuh] is the way to get ALLAH’s love.
“Say: If you (really) love ALLAH then follow me, ALLAH will love you and forgive you your sins. And ALLAH is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Al-e-Imran:31]