Opera Community vs. Blogger
Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:58:19 AM
Some of the features that make this blog a better choice are
- Integrated services besides the blog itself: photo albums, links section, about page. All these gives a greater sense of belonging to a real community.
- That beautiful calendar on the right side of blog pages, with quick links to the days I've posted something.
- The tagging system, which gives the opportunity to categorize posts within the blog. This makes it easier for visitors to find posts a particular subject.
- The mechanism to include pictures and other files into my posts. Blogger has his won, but I like this one a lot more.
- The possibility to post private posts, or restrict access to my friends. In Blogger all posts are public.
- The naming convention for posts URLs is more convenient, because it does not depends on the post's name.
- Pages are truly dinamyc. Blogger pages are created statically when new posts are created.
I should also highlight major Blogger features that are not available here. However, I am confident that some (if not all) of them will be added. We must remember that this new Opera Community is a young project with a future ahead.
- Comments can be posted by any visitor, not just Blogger members. Here at Opera only the community members can comment on my posts. I understand this is to avoid comment spamming, but there are other ways.
- The spell-checker within the post editor.
- The preview and WYSIWYG editing mode in the post editor.
- The Blogger for Word utility, that makes it possible to write posts within Microsoft Word and submitting directly to Blogger, without having to open the Web interface.
- The ability to decide the date and time of a new post.
Also, being Blogger a part of Google, blogs over there are readily available on the new Google Blog Search. I would like to see my Opera blog also available over there. Blogging is a lot about being heard, and being indexed is certainly a part of it, mostly if it's Google's index we're talking about.