Opera Mini for the iPhone? What's the point?
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:53:29 AM
But while a lot of people are excited, a small minority seems to wonder what the point is. Why does anyone need a choice in browsers on the iPhone, and what does Opera Mini in particular bring to the table?
- Choice: Choice is good. If you think Safari is the best thing since sliced bread, by all means keep using Safari. Other people may choose differently. Let's respect each other's right to choose, OK?
- Features: Opera Mini brings a different set of features to the iPhone. Some may prefer Safari's features, while others may prefer the features Opera Mini offers.
- Usage patterns: This is party related to what features are offered, but also the way common features are implemented. Safari handles things in one particular way, and Opera Mini might do it differently. Which one do you prefer? The choice is yours.
- Save money: Opera Mini compresses everything up to 90%. This means that you can save a lot of money if you pay for data usage!
- Connection speed: Opera Mini's compression means that you can download pages faster, especially if your network connection is not perfect. Our tests show that Opera Mini is up to 6 times faster than Safari!
There are also reports of mobile networks struggling under the increase in data traffic, causing slowdowns. With data compressed up to 90%, that slowdown will be less noticeable. You will also have much faster browsing in areas with poor 3G/WiFi coverage.
Your mobile network operator will thank you for easing the load on his network!
And finally, let's not forget that you can already download alternative user interfaces for Safari. Why are those there if the standard Safari browser is all anyone will ever need?
Opera's slogan is "the best internet experience on any device". We may not be on all devices yet, but we want to be on as many of them as possible. That includes the iPhone. The only question now is whether Apple will accept Opera Mini into the App Store or not.
We are ready. Are you?