Opera Mini 4.2 beta available for testing!
By MarianneManneS. Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:04:39 AM
Opera Mini 4.2 beta will be installed next to your other Opera Mini version(s), so there's no need to delete anything before downloading the beta.
Here are the new features added since Opera Mini 4.1:
- Synchronize, edit and delete notes via Opera Link
- 24 new languages
- Better handling of RTSP, enabling more users to watch video
- Skins are back (along with new skins)
- "Accept" link at the end of the EULA (for BlackBerry users)
In addition we are now in the progress of enabling global load balancing for all our users. See the blog post for more info.
We hope you all enjoy this beta as much as us, and that you will provide feedback in our forum or directly in our feedback thread. Bugs can also be reported directly from Opera Mini (Menu -> Tools-> Help -> Bug report).
As this is a beta, there are a couple of known issues. Here's a list of some of them:
- Some of the new languages are not fully translated for the beta, but will be fully supported for the final version.
- There are several issues with notes in Opera Link. Your device may not support viewing or editing of very large notes. Backup your notes before trying!
What is RTSP
RTSP is a protocol used for streaming media, such as videos. If your phone supports RTSP via Opera Mini, you should be able to play e.g. YouTube videos on your phone. These will not be played in Opera Mini, but by the media software in the device. We would like to remind those of you without a fixed data subscription that streaming media requires a lot of
data traffic, and can be very expensive. Depending on the device, you may have to configure a new access point before streaming works. Also, some devices will not do streaming unless they are connected via WiFi (we have seen this on BlackBerry).
Now we will do our best to finish the final release for you. Enjoy the beta!
The Opera Mini team