We're now happy to report that this has changed with Opera Mini 3.1 as a result of Motorola releasing an open version on WebJAL late last year called "idenJAL" (or in some places "OpenJAL"). idenJAL can be used to install any compatible MIDlet on your Motorola iDEN device using a data cable. We have tweaked the code to make Opera Mini work better on Motorola iDEN devices and are happy to report that Opera Mini 3.1 Advanced now works on those devices too.
Please note that this support should be considered a bit experimental and mostly aimed at power users at the moment due to the fact that the installation is a bit "hacky" and not much documentation is available yet. Also, testing on all iDEN devices is a bit cumbersome since there aren't any actual iDEN networks in Europe.
In other words, please provide us with feedback in the forums if you encounter any problems or want to share tips and tricks with your fellow iDEN users. You can also provide feedback via the bug reporting wizard.
What you need:
- Opera Mini 3.1 Advanced JAR & JAD file 1
- Motorola "iDEN Java Application Loader" (idenJAL) 2
- A data cable for your iDEN device
- A compatible Windows system (for example XP)
Step by step:
1. Install the drivers for the data cable, if one is needed (USB).
2. Download and install idenJAL.
3. Download the Opera Mini 3.1 Advanced JAR & JAD file to your computer, save them in the same directory (or on the desktop).
4. Rename the files to "mini.jar" and "mini.jad".
5. Open "mini.jad" and change "MIDlet-Jar-URL: ???.jar" to "MIDlet-Jar-URL: mini.jar".
6. Turn on your phone and connect it to the computer using the data cable.
7. Start idenJAL and check the "preferences" to see that the right connection type is selected (com/USB).
8. Click on "connect to phone".
9. Click on download, and select the mini.jad file you just modified.
10. Wait for the transfer to complete and then disconnect your phone. On some models this will trigger an on-phone install to occur, others will do this step the first time you run Opera Mini.
Congratulations. If everything worked as it should, then Opera Mini 3.1 Advanced should be installed on your phone. It can be a bit tricky to find Opera Mini in the menus but look for "Java Apps". Sorry about the icon btw, it will look nicer in the future.
Note that you need to register (free) at the MotoDev portal to be able to download idenJAL.
Additional information and help (a bit outdated):