If you have windows installed and switch on 24 seven, and you feel that you want to copy files or manipulate files remotely and even access to the LAN networks. If you want to have remote desktop to windows box, then you may consider VNC. If you familier with ssh and scp and are not interested in using GUI, then you would like to read this futher.
You have no problem to connect to any linux server, ssh client putty is a very lightweight tools for you. But if you want to setup ssh server at windows, a very first thing you need is CYGWIN. Cygwin is a software that support various POSIX based packages and tools that originally running on (Linux, BSDs) to run at windows. The first time I heard about cygwin is last 2 years when I want to setup Network Simulator 2.26. At that time, cygwin is very difficult to setup but today, cygwin becomes very easy.
Steps to setup Cygwin and ssh:
1. Login as administrator or user with admin privilege.
2. Make sure all users have set password, check control panel -> user account. Set password for all users, logout and login again.
3. create a folder to store all packages c:\cygwin
4. Download setup.exe, click http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
and save it to c:\cygwin
5. Run it and click next next next, pick a mirror and continue until you see selections menu.
6. Click view button until is shows Full view.
7. Search for OpenSSH and vim, or other packages you like to include with. Basically OpenSSH would be enough, you can install other packages later by running setup.exe again.
[Installation will take sometimes to download ... ]
8. Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables
9. At System variable , click NEW button, enter variable name "CYGWIN" and value "ntsec".
10. Select the Path variable and click the EDIT button.
11. Append ;c:\cygwin\bin to the end of the existing variable string.
12. Okay, now can start cygwin, double click the icon.
13. Type ssh-host-config
14. Say "yes" to privilege separation, create local user sshd and install sshd as a service.
15. When the script stops and asks you for "CYGWIN=" type ntsec
16. Type net start sshd
17. Okay if you want to create more user accounts, please do so and then open cygwin again and
18. Type mkpasswd --local > /etc/passwd
19. Type mkgroup --local > /etc/group
20. Okay you are done, take any ssh client and try it out. you c: is at /cygdrive/c
Do not forgot that SSH uses port 22, so you need to add exception port 22 at windows firewall.
Click Start...Control Panel....Security Centre....Manage Security Settings for Windows Firewall....Exceptions tab....Add Port...
"Name of port" is ssh "Port number" is 22 (check the "TCP" checkbox)
For details please check out this page http://www.chinese-watercolor.com/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
Next comming up, I am going to write on how to access LAN networks with using net use and also performs remote desktop to linux box with openbox under cygwin.