Southern Railway Train Tickets - Bulk Booking - Procedure
Friday, April 9, 2010 8:16:02 AM
Things you need
1. A letter stating the reason for Bulk booking. If it is for personal purpose, write on a white sheet and sign it. Attach any proof (wedding invitation, invitations or anything that supports the reason for booking). If booking done on behalf of corporate, get a letter in the company's letter head with the signature of the HR or any higher official along with Seal.
2. Write / Print down the list of passengers and attach to the letter.
3. Photocopy of your ID card. Mostly not needed. But required sometimes.
4. Take a photocopy of the letters, documents and list of passengers and keep it for your reference.
5. Duly filled Railway reservation slips with train and passenger details (these slips are available at the second floor entrance).
Where should you go?
Go to the second floor (the first floor counters are for regular travels) in the Suburban train complex in the Chennai Central station. This is where bulk bookings are done.
Officers you should meet
1.If you are requesting to travel in Sleeper Class (SL) or Second Sitting (2S) you should obtain authorization from Chief Reservation Supervisor (Administration). Shortly called as CRS, this officer is the verifying, signing authority for most bulk bookings upto 100 seats.
2. If you are requesting to travel in higher classes such as AC Chair car (CC) or Two Tier AC (2A) or Three Tier AC (3A), you should obtain authorization from Assistant Commercial Manager-1. ACM-1 is incharge for such higher class travels, and more than 100 seats for any class.
Both officers are available in their room at the end of the second floor booking counters.
Procedure in Short:
1. Fill Bulk booking Reservation form (get it from Counter 55)
2. Submit the form and documents to get it signed by Chief Reservation Supervisor.
3. Submit the signed form and documents, along with reservation slips duly filled (passenger details) at counter 55. The reservation slips will be pinned together and stamped.
4. Go to Counter 49 or 50 and submit the reservation slips. Tickets will be booked.
5. Payment mode accepted : ONLY CASH!
Precedure in Detail:
1.After getting all your documents ready, go to the second floor booking. Locate counter 55 which is the last one on the other end, near the officers cabins. Ask for a bulk booking form and fill it. Fill the details like FROM, TO, No. of Passengers etc. You can fill upto 4 trains in the 4 columns. Strike out empty columns.
2. Submit the Form, Letter, List of Passengers to the Chief Reservation Supervisor. He will check the availability of seats. If the requested seats are just less than the available seats, booking will not be allowed. CRS officer will suggest other trains. For example. If you try to book 60 tickets and if only 80 tickets are available, booking will not be allowed. It appears that there is some internal rules followed to ensure bulk booking are done only if majority seats can be allotted in the same coach.
After the trains are confirmed and seat availability is good, the CRS will sign, stamp the form and write the number of passengers to be booked. Please note, you can book tickets only upto the number CRS specifies on the form. Changes are not allowed after signing. So finalize the list of travellers before you submit the form to CRS officer.
3. Once filled, take the Forms, reservation forms, letter and passengers list back to Counter 55. Here the officer will verify the papers and pin the reservation forms. He will then stamp on the top most reservation forms and enter the number passengers to be booked. He will retain the letter, passengers list and CRS signed form with him and give you the reservation forms back.
4. Go to Counter no : 49 or 50. Submit the reservation forms and the booking clerk will reserve the tickets. Note that payment for bulk booking is accepted only in Cash. No DD or No Credit Card accepted. Take sufficient cash plus, buffer cash along with you.
5. As rule of thumb, before you leave the place, verify all the tickets for date, train timings etc.
Time Duration for this procedure
It takes approximately from 40 minutes to 1 hours. In some cases it may take upto 2 hours. The best hours are the noon and evening hours, during which there is less crowd.