I know I have written about packaging way
too much but I was recently asked for a traditional SlackBuild-style repackaging script for Opera Next. I already host Opera Next Slackware packages in my mini-repository
. These are repackaged using my op2slk
conversion script. The person asking however disapproved of how op2slk works because it does not use Slackware's makepkg (done so that I can repackage on a non-Slackware distros and so I do not need to use the root account).
Whilst in the majority of cases it is certainly preferable to use makepkg I do not agree that just because op2slk doesn't do so, that it is inherently bad or broken. I have been very careful to make sure it does many of the same things that makepkg does (i.e. It converts symlinks into shell script code in exactly the same format as makepkg, uses GNU tar version 1.13 style directory formatting for all entries within the tar package and makes sure all files are owned by root when packaged). That said, since it is relatively trivial to adjust the available opera.SlackBuild's to repackage Opera Next I decided to make one anyway. You will find it in my mini-repository
At the same time I figured I might as well also created a opera.SlackBuild (see the Opera subdirectory). At least two opera.SlackBuild's already exist at SlackBuilds.org
(Sbo) and Slacky.eu
but I figured I'd do my own variant for fun. The differences from SBo version are: it is entirely self contained (no separate doinst.sh and slack-desc files); it uses the bz2 compressed tar package as a source rather than the xz compressed one (making it suitable for older Slackware versions); it will download the the "source"
package if it is not present locally. The differences from the Slacky version are: it is self contained (no separate slack-desc); it uses the bz2 compressed tar package as a source rather than the rpms.Edit: You can now also find an up to date opera-next.SlackBuild on the snapshot server itself! Click on the Linux/FreeBSD download link for the snapshot you are interested in and when the directory loads adjust the URL by adding .unsupported on the end. Or try this:
P.S. Just because I made yet another opera.SlackBuild variant does not mean there is anything wrong with the Slacky.eu and SBo versions. There isn't! They are both well maintained and indeed mine borrows heavily from both of them. As much as anything I did it because I could and to provide another option. There is no particular reason to use mine if you are already happy with either of the Slacky.eu or SBo versions, or for that matter if you are using op2slk, my SalixOS SLKBUILD script or one of the binary packages I host!