Opera 12.00, you are awesome.
Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:05:47 AM
- Tabs now have unique IDs, which will make identifying them much easier.
- Tab groups are now visible to extensions! If you have a reference to a tab, you can also get a reference to the tab group it is in (if any).
- Opera internal pages are now exposed to extensions. In other words, opera.extension.tabs.getFocused() actually returns something when you have speed dial focused!
- You can now get a lot more info about a tab. For instance, you can tell whether it is closed, locked, focused, private, and which position it is in the tab bar.
- Tabs now have a "readyState" property. I can't find any reference to a "readystatechanged" event, but at least we can now tell when a tab is finished loading.
- You can focus tabs/groups!
There's probably a lot more, but without documentation of any kind, I'm just trying things to see what works at the moment.
Here are a few of the fun things I'll be able to add to Tab Vault now:
- Save tab groups
- Open a group of saved tabs as a tab group
- I can now tell the difference between a tab that hasn't loaded and one that has loaded but doesn't have a favicon. As a result, the importer won't have to wait ~15 seconds for every tab without a favicon.
Documentation on the new API is now available at http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/extensions-api-windows-tabs/. Also, check my comment at the bottom of that page, as there are still a couple bugs to watch out for (which are currently halting my progress on Opera 12.00-ifying Tab Vault).