Few days back when I saw post about marketing internship of Opera, I asked myself "Just what, exactly, is social media?" Over the past few months I have been reading a number of thoughtful articles, speeches, columns, and citations that present in one form or another possible answer to this question. You'd think it'd be a slam dunk. It's not.
Then, I took a look at Wikipedia. Certainly I'd find the answer there. And I did...sort of. Actually, what I found was even better. I found a discussion of what social media may be. It's a sort of recursive irony wherein one of the ultimate social media platforms is used to define social media itself. What really caught my attention, though, was the two distinct camps forming around the definition of social media. The two camps are – folks who put the "social" in "social media" (people who put their thoughts to blogs or photos and videos or any thousands of the places where self made content can be shared. The other camp? Marketers. For them, the term "media" has their attention and they're still trying to figure out the "social" part of it.
I think Social Media is about trying different things and seeing what works and then conducting an analysis to see what work and what didn't. It doesn't matter if you have the right tone for social media. What matters is that you have the right soul for social media.[/B]
Social Media Landscape In India
Social Networking is predominantly leading Social Media in India. Here, people are consuming lot of social media without even knowing that they are using social media. In recent times, people are taking much more interest in Social Media - People are going for net, People are looking for what their peers have to say, what their experts have to say and marketers are also joining in the game exponentially. In India - word of mouth can be said as the biggest tool for Social Media.
Following Presentation gives some facts about Social Media and its prospects in India which clears the picture why India is the biggest emerging market of Social Media?
Why Me?1. Opera Campus Crew Coordinator of India - I am working to support Opera Campus Crew volunteers in all universities across India. The task assigned to me is to coach and advice Opera Campus Crew members on their activities to market Opera products.
2. Gold Level Opera Member - I was selected as the first ever Gold Level opera Campus Crew member from India (one of the seven throughout the world) for my campus crew activities during the semester July-Dec 2009.
3. Presentation Skills - Conducted mass number of Opera Presentation, Demo Days, Cyber Cafe installation, interviews and lot of campus crew activities during the past one year.
5. Management skills - Have been involved in various management positions in my university like Founding Chairman of IEEE student chapter of my university, Member of Program Management Club, main organizer of Techno Cultural fest of my university, etc.
6. Industrial and Community Involvement - I am student placement coordinator of my university which gives me opportunity to interact with industrial people and have an eye on market. Also, involved in community services being Student Representative of a nationwide movement called Teach For India.
7. Good Contacts - This is one of the most important things needed for marketing your products. After being involved in different kind of areas as mentioned above, it has helped me to increase my social network.
8. Passion for Opera - Last but the most important, my passion for Opera . Every feature of Opera from Unite to Dragonfly, Mail Client to RSS client, Personalised Links, Bookmarks, Password Manager, History, etc. brings me more closer to it. That’s why I love to spread words about Opera through various campus crew activities.
Want To Meet Me???
This is my entry for the Opera Marketing Internship Competition. Hope you will enjoy this article. Please vote for me by simply leaving a thumbs up smiley or posting your own honest opinion.