Blueberry New York Cheesecake
Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:35:33 PM
Simplicity says it all
Mostly adapted from Year on the Grill blog
New York cheesecake is the pure, unadulterated cheesecake with no fancy ingredients added. It is made with pure cream cheese, cream, eggs, and sugar. Everybody has a certain image of New York Style Cheesecake. According to New Yorkers, only the great cheesecake makers are located in New York, and the great cheesecake connoisseurs are also in New York. In the 1900s, cheesecakes were very popular in New York. Every restaurant had their version. I believe the name "New York Cheesecake" came from the fact that New Yorkers referred to the cheesecakes made in New York as "New York Cheesecake." New Yorkers say that cheesecake wasn't really cheesecake until it was cheesecake in New York.
I have never attempted to make a "real" NY cheesecake. I other cheesecake recipe I made did not ask for heavy cream and cream cheese. In fact, I used yogurt to create the smoothness and softness of the cake. Things have to change. I have to learn something new and here it is, the new cheesecake recipe that I totally love.
A couple Notes: For this recipe, you don't need to bake the crust in advance. You will also don't need to bake the cheesecake in water-bath. This is the most simple and delicious New York cheesecake I've ever tried so far. I add the blueberry swirl to the original recipe since I was obsessed about swirl cake decorating recently. This is the first time I make a swirl cheesecake. It seems like I added too much blueberry preserve so that the purple park dominate the white part on my cheesecake. I will reduce it next time. Anyway, this is a great cheesecake recipe and you should try it NOW!!!
For the Crust,
20 Honey Graham Crackers
8 Table Spoon (1 stick) Butter, melted (I used 65% vegetable spread instead of butter)
For the Filling,
4 8oz. packages of Cream Cheese ( I used the 1/3 less fat cream cheese but you can use the original)
1 cups Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
4 whole Eggs
1 cup Sour Cream (Again, I used the 50% less fat sour cream. It's up to you to use the full fat one)
1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberry + 4 teaspoon sugar
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees
* Grease a 13x9x2-inch oblong cake pan.
* To make the crumbs: Put all the cracker in a zip lock and used a rolling pin to roll over. You can use food processor in this step as well. Then, in a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter
* Press onto the bottom of the pan,using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to make the surface even. You don't need to bake the crust for this recipe. So wonderful right?
* Onto the filling...: In a small pot, heat blueberry with sugar until the sugar is aborted and the excess water evaporate. Then use a blender to puree the blueberry. Let cool.
* In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth.
* Blend in Cream, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate.
* Mix in the sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth.
* Pour filling into prepared crust. Then, use a spoon to dot the blueberry preserve over the top and use a chop stick or a knife to run. Starting the tip of the chop stick at the center of the dot and run the tip over around to reach the next dot. Swirl...swirl...swirl.... (exactly like its name) Continue doing that for the whole surface. ( You can search: "How to make swirl cheese cake" on Youtube to see the demonstration)
* Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
* Turn the oven off and let cake cool at room temperature before refrigerate.
* Chill in refrigerator for at least 5 hours before serving.