Fix it: Weather gadget and currency gadget not work in Windows 7 (displaying "Cannot connect to service")
I have found a fix. Credits for the fix goes to sting251. He posted the fix at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/weather-gadget-not-working-cannot-connect-to/6707d8b4-1a37-4412-a609-5677c9b99a7a?page=4. I have simplified his instructions and removed unnecessary files.
To fix this problem, first download the file from my Google drive at https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B1Tan13i1a63OGxTYkVvZGdvS3c&export=download. Download the individual files to the desktop. The directions for the fix can be found in the zip file itself (directions.txt). For your convenience, it will be posted here as well.
- Run "fixit.bat." Make sure you have the entire zip file and extracted it to the same place.
- Press "enter" to close the Window.
I'm trying a new "batch (.bat)" file to automate the fix. If it does not work, the old instructions can be found below
- Close all running Gadgets by clicking on the "x" in the top right hand corner of the Gadget. An easier way is to launch Windows task manager. Then click on "processes." Click on show processes from all users. Select "sidebar.exe" and click "End process."
- Double click on "Cache - Shortcut" in the zip file. Or else go to Start --> Run and type in
"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache\" without the quotation marks. Drag and drop the config.xml file into the file. If Windows ask whether you want to replace the file, click "Move and replace."
- Press start and then type in "Gadget." Select "Desktop gadget gallery." Launch the Gadgets you want.
- If the above steps do not fix the problem, continue with the following step, repeating steps 1 to 3. Double click on "Windows Sidebar - Shortcut" in the zip file. Or else go to Start --> Run and type in
"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar" without the quotation mark. Drag and drop the Settings.ini file into the file. If Windows ask whether you want to replace the file, click "Move and replace."
If you have time, please fill up a survey regarding this fix.
Credits for the fix goes to sting251. I have simplified his instructions.
Credits for the "batch (.bat)" file goes to TheRipper
Please SHARE this article to everyone you know.